Wadhu’s Quality Store, one of the oldest structures and landmarks in Cagayan de Oro is undergoing a facelift. Works are underway for this building’s new exterior cladding.
The original owner’s name is Wadhu Dharamdas Uttamchandi. He came to the Philippines from India in 1924 and stayed in Zamboanga. In late 1930s, he transferred here in Cagayan de Oro and opened the first Wadhu’s Store in Divisoria which was near to the public market. In 1942, the business temporarily stopped when the owner had to run to Balingasag to escape World War II.
Wadhu’s reopened in 1946. When the public market was relocated to Cogon in 1958, Wadhu’s moved to its current site at J.R. Borja and Pabayo Streets.